Friday 29 July 2011

Being Banana

It has really been a crazy week. Last Friday, my son gave me a circular from his kindy that there would be another theme day in a week (previously was about insects).  It's a non-uniform day but lessons proceed as usual. Today is the day. 

This time round it's about local fruits and vegetables. And of all things, he wants to be a banana. Googled for images and ideas. Found some costumes on kids whereby the banana end hung down to the floor. Looked less obscene and easier to make. Who wouldn't like to cut down on hard work (you'd be happy if it works, that is). As I couldn't find any food costumes sold in this part of our region, I had to get fabrics and batting and start sewing. Contrary to my mother who can make a frock as spontaneously as I can craft a card, I was panic-stricken for almost a week. I had absolutely no idea how to even shape a banana with fabric! How do you cut the fabric of the different sides of the banana? 

There was quite a bit of hunting work, like for the colour and type of fabric, threads, batting to shape the peel, a long sleeves shirt of the banana flesh colour (close enough) and unfortunately without a hood. Good thing though, we still have the yellow overalls from last year's kindy concert. 

Finally, all was done last night, turned out or not. My boy was really happy that I bothered and excited to put it on. That's all that matters. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment